Thursday 6 October 2011

Jack O' Oranges

When Gavin was in kindergarten I had this great idea. Have a Halloween party and invite ALL the kids in his class. For a 3 hour party. NEVER. AGAIN. lol 

I had games planned, a Halloween movie for them to watch (Mickey Mouse's House of Villains, Gavin's fave movie), and had healthy Halloween themed snacks for them. I also spent the entire day beforehand cleaning my house with no help from my hubby (now ex) while having Gavin (5), Tristan (was just over 1 yr old), ex-hubby's 9 year old daughter, and a puppy tearing up the house behind me. The morning of, I made macaroons and these Jack O' Oranges. I got the idea of them from one of those Halloween magazines at the rack at the check out stand.





The kids arrived, some parents stayed, some didn't. None of the kids wanted to play the games I had planned. None of the kids wanted to watch the movie. None of the kids wanted to eat the healthy snacks and only wanted to sugary stuff.

All in all, the kids played what they wanted, they had a great time, and once all the junk snacks were done, they did enjoy my Jack O' Oranges. But me? It was pure torture. If I ever host another kids party, I have learned not to plan anything to elaborate, and keep it to an hour instead of that marathon I attempted (I thought the party would NEVER end).

Anyways, to the Jack O' Oranges: cut the tops off of 12 oranges and hollow them out. Keep the insides in a separate bowl. Carve faces with a paring knife. Cut up apples and red grapes into little pieces and mix in the bowl with the oranges. Spoon it into the carved oranges and voila!


Jack O' Oranges!







Enjoy :)


Parties linked to this page:
Tip Junkie handmade projectsTodays Creative Blog



Pin It



3 comments:

  1. Oh those faces are too darn cute!!! :) Gotta love kids, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - they look very good! saw you on linky party, I am now gfc following, Karima www.karimascrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been there - a person means well, but sometimes even an hour party seems like WAY too much! I learned it the hard way too and now have very small parties out of my house. I do love your craft idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...